Tuesday 1 October 2013

Diana the Huntress

I came to Diana the Huntress after starting a couple of books that I just couldn't finish.  The first just went on and on about old age and how rubbish it is and how there's always something hurting you and if it's not one thing it's another and I just thought to myself 'This will be bad enough if it happens to me in later years, I don't need to spend my young, mobile years reading about it.  Now I should probably touch my toes to prove to myself that I'm still youthful'.  The second book was not all that upbeat either and reading it felt like a drag so I gave up on that too.  I needed something fluffy and light.

Diana the Huntress fits the 'fluffy and light' description perfectly, just look at the front cover.  Nothing says 'this is not a book that will make you miserable' like a cartoon of a lady lying on her bed in a baby pink room.  Although Diana herself is not a girly girl.

Diana the Huntress is part of the Six Sisters series by MC Beaton and from the cover of the book, you can tell that it's going to work to a certain formula.  But working to a formula is fine, it's sometimes exactly what you need, you just want a nice story that you know will result in a happy ending.  The book is the fifth in the series and although I hadn't read the previous four books when I picked this up, it didn't matter, the story works perfectly well as a stand alone.

Diana is the fifth of six sisters (surprise, surprise) and is living at home with her parents and younger sister Frederica.  Diana is somewhat of a worry for her father as although he enjoys her company he worries that she's just not feminine enough.  He does indulge Diana in her passion, hunting, but only if she disguises herself as a man which, I'm sure you can guess, results in lots of shenanigans.

However, the main focus of the book is, you've guessed it, romance.  Awwwww.  Diana encounters two young(ish) men who have just moved to her neck of the woods, Lord Mark Dantrey and Mr Emberton, and must work out for herself which one she truly loves.

Diana the Huntress is perfect for when you want to read a book but you don't want it to take up too much headspace.  It's light, it's fun, there's action as well as the romance so you shouldn't grow bored and sometimes, dammit, you just want a plot that's predictable but will make you smile.

One sentence back cover quote
I wanted light and fluffy and I got it

Buy Diana the Huntress at Waterstones

No comments:

Post a Comment